Monday, May 14, 2007

another excerpt from courtney's journal


Caveat Emptor:

The following is an excerpt from my private journal. Some, reading what I've written, will interpret me as being arrogant, self-important, self-righteous. Please know that I don't intend these thoughts to come across this way. These thoughts are the result of my ruminations about my own life as I look back at times in which I followed the will of God and at times in which I didn't. Some of *those* thoughts are too private to share. So what you see here is the conclusion of those thoughts: an account of a part of my life in which I can see God's will at work; an account relating to several friends in whose lives I can see God's will at work. None of this means that we are better than anyone else; none of this means that any of us always follow God's will. It just means that this is a brief excerpt from my journal and a brief excerpt from my life. I'll write about my many failures another time. :o)

Excerpt from my journal:

A few years ago, April was looking at her brother Jonathan’s wedding pictures. In those pictures, she saw faces she recognized, and she was amazed at what the intervening years had brought. She told me about this, and I, too, felt amazed at the detail in God’s planning:

* In the pictures, April recognized Ed and me, whom she didn’t know then.
* She recognized Clint, whom she didn’t know then.
* At that wedding, April didn’t know that her future husband was present.
* Ed and I already knew Clint, but we didn't know that he was one of our future missions co-workers.
* We didn't know that the highschooler (April) who sang at the wedding was one of our future co-workers.
* Clint and April didn’t know that they would end up working as missionaries in Chemnitz.
* And yet, we were all there in the same place.

We didn’t know, we didn’t know, we didn’t know. God knew it all, and even then, he was working on our hearts and on the hearts of other people all over the world to bring us all to the place, spiritually and physically, where he knew we needed to be.

We didn’t know, we didn’t know, we didn’t know. What don’t we know now? Someday, we will look back on today and marvel at the things God is doing even now to fulfill his plans for us for the future. The things we will look back on, God already knew before he spoke the first word that brought the world into existence.

And now I move on to a greater scale beyond the four of us: If you, today, are obeying the will of God, if you are following the path that he has laid out for you, if your heart is turned toward him and you are trusting him to lead you…then you are doing things and living a life the details of which God had in mind before Creation. If you are living out the will of God, then you are living exactly what God set into motion when he spoke the world into existence. He set things into motion, and if you are living a life that pleases him, then what you are, who you are, is a direct result of the will that was God’s even before he said, “Let there be light.”

Human language is inadequate for describing the immense significance of what and who you are, the intricate and millennia-spanning connection between You and the very beginnings of Creation, if you are living a life that is pleasing to God. What you are living didn't start with you...it started before Creation, if you are living out God's will.

This is a grand, awe-inspiring, immeasurable concept…and one that is very humbling.

5 comments:

amy nickerson said...

Wow, you wrote some very powerful words there! I'm amazed by that story of Jonathan's wedding. It makes me wonder what God's doing behind the scenes around me right now that I'll one day see down the road. He has a way of always amazing me.

April said...

Courtney,
I think about these things a lot and it always amazes me how God has intricately planned all of our lives to intertwine with each other for His purposes! Thanks for reminding me again! :)

thegermanygirl said...

Amy: I wonder that, too. I know he's doing amazng things, and I'm not even aware of it. I come to the same conclusion over and over again: Life with God is the greatest adventure anyone could ever have!

April: I'm just thankful that *you* shared your thoughts with me and inspired me to think on these things lately! :o)

Anonymous said...

Thanks for that post and for the things that you told me today and for all your hugs!
It's always good to be reminded of the basics... Seems as if those are what I forget most of the time...
I know that God is working in all of us and it's great to discover the different paths that He has already worked out for each one of us.
It's just hard sometimes to be patient in waiting to see where this path is going.... But I guess this is where endurance and most of all having faith in God and His amazing power in our life comes from!
I love you!

thegermanygirl said...

I love you too, Ja-Nine! And you're right, it *is* difficult to be patient. And it's difficult to accept, sometimes, when we realize that God's plan is different from what we ourselves had in mind. BUT! that's the joy we can know (if we allow ourselves to exist in this state of spiritual--not emotional--joy) in having the all-powerful Creator in our lives: that he *is* all-powerful and all-knowing, and that his plan is always right, whether we *feel* that it is or not.

:o)