Tuesday, June 16, 2009

i do dumb things sometimes

This time, I tried to light a match. Which, under ordinary circumstances, would not be a dumb thing to do. But I had just smeared lotion all over my hands, making my fingers too slick to get a good grasp on the match. So, instead of doing the smart thing and wiping the lotion off, I...

...tore the match out of the matchbook with my teeth,
clamped the head of the match between the front and back flaps of the matchbook,
and pulled really hard.

It did not occur to me that this would result in my holding a burning match in my teeth, with the flame about half an inch from my face.

I was startled enough to let go of the match, which obeyed the law of gravity by dropping to the floor. Some other natural law--having to do with combustion and chemistry, I suppose--also went into effect, keeping the match burning as it fell. Fortunately, I regained my presence of mind quickly enough to stamp out the flame before it could catch the carpet on fire.

So, dear children, the moral of the story is: obvious.

There's now a little stinging spot on my lip--not a burn from the flame itself, but from the spark as the match lit.

*sigh*

3 comments:

Alisha said...

Wow, that is impressive. I don't think it would have ever occurred to me to light a match with my teeth.

YMinisterswife said...

This made me laugh. I kept thinking..."Oh how silly! Who would ever do that!" Then I sadly remembered my eighties hair era and a closely lit flame. I lost a good deal of my hair that day my friend.

amy nickerson said...

Holy cow, Courtney! I can't believe you did that! How hilarious!!! I'm just glad you didn't light up your hair or something!

On another note...we need to get together!