Wednesday, December 16, 2009

excerpt from courtney's journal...

...complete with original spellings. ;o)

June, 29, 1986

Iam at Church right now. And I have been thinking about something. Amanda and I were at Grandma Wegers house. We wanted to play the Piano. But most of the Key's would'nt Play. Then we said the Piano would'nt Play. Grandpa then took his 22 Gun out of the Piano so that we could Play it. And that was so funny!

_______________________________

Present day: At the risk of sounding self-aggrandizing ;oD I have to say I find this completely fascinating from a linguistic standpoint. At age 9, it seems I was regularly applying German spelling rules to English words--hence all the capitalized nouns. But the one English noun that's phonetically almost identical to its German counterpart (house -- Haus), I spelled correctly.

Why I capitalized the verb "play," I have no idea. Maybe I was thinking "play" as in something you watch onstage--which would be a noun.

I love being a TCK. :o)

2 comments:

Carlos Velez said...

that's really cute. I am also impressed that you were keeping journals at such a young age. My wife did too...I think that's fantastic.

I've been ruminating on occasion as to what exactly a TCK is and I can't figure it out. Texas Christian Kid? Are you from Texas? Your initials, Courtney being a middle name? Terrible Child Kidnapper? Tolkien Club Kaiser?

thegermanygirl said...

LOL Carlos, you guessed right about the Texas part, even though the 'T' in TCK stands for something else. ;o) I was born in Texas, but moved away before age 3--so I don't really claim it. ;o)

TCK stands for Third Culture Kid. There's more to it than this, but here's the short explanation, using me as an example: My parents are North Americans, but I grew up in Germany--in a culture different from theirs. As I grew up, I acquired bits of American culture from my parents, as well as bits of German culture from my daily surroundings. The result: a third culture that is unique to me and my experiences.

This is a phenomenon common to everyone who grows up in a culture different from that of their parents--even if they never leave the country they were born in. the interesting thing is that no matter where TCKs grow up, they identify with each other extremely easily--as though they grew up in the same culture. *Huge* advantage in horizon-broadening, flexibility, networking, language acquisition, etc.

Disadvantage: perpetual feeling of rootlessness, frequent holier-than-thou attitude toward those who haven't shared multi-cultural experiences, inability to relate to parents' home culture, frustration at being treated like a foreigner both in the parents' culture and in the "home" culture...

And that was way more than I intended to write. ;o)

Oh, and I don't know that I could claim to have "kept" journals at age 9. I think I made two entries that year...and the next two are from ages 10 and 12, respectively. ;o)