Sunday, April 16, 2006

i hate manipulative "christian" forwards

I've said it before (though maybe not here, I don't remember), and I'll say it again:

I HATE EMAILS THAT STATE OR IMPLY THAT I'M NOT A "GOOD CHRISTIAN" IF I DON'T FORWARD A MESSAGE ABOUT GOD TO EVERYONE IN MY ADDRESS BOOK.

I really believe that most Christians aren't thinking when they send fellow Christians emails that contain statements such as:

"Isn't it funny how you can send a thousand jokes through e-mail and they spread like wildfire, but when you start sending messages regarding the Lord, people think twice about sharing?"

or

"Isn't it funny how when you go to forward this message, you will not send it to many on your address list because you're not sure what they believe, or what they will think of you for sending it to them."

or

"Isn't it funny how I can be more worried about what other people think of me than what God thinks of me?"

or

"Jesus said, 'If you are ashamed of me, I will be ashamed of you before my Father.' Not ashamed? Pass this on ONLY IF YOU MEAN IT!!"


No, it's not funny. And I don't appreciate the sarcasm.

No, I don't send messages about God to friends or family who are decided unbelievers. Why? Because it insults them and puts a roadblock in the path of my relationship with them. This means that they become even less open to the Lord than before, because they come to see me, their only Christian example, as inflexible, insensitive, and dogmatic.

No, I am not worried about what other people think of me. But I am concerned with what they think of Jesus. And I represent him to them, so what do they think of him if I show them arrogance instead of loving understanding?

No, I'm not ashamed of Jesus. But I don't have to forward an email to prove it.

Friends, I find such messages insulting. They are not messages of God's power or the love of Jesus Christ. These messages are arrogant and counter-productive to the spread of God's Word. They play on the emotions and inspire guilt, not the fire of evangelism.

Here's another quote:

"This is the simplest test.
"If You Love God... And, are not ashamed of all the marvelous things HE has done for you...
"Send this to ten people and the person who sent it to you!
"I don't think I know 10 people who would admit they love Jesus. Do You love Him?"

Excuse me?
I think you just said that if I don't forward your email, it means that I don't love Jesus.
Excuse me, fellow Christian? Surely I didn't hear you right.

Besides, I do know more than ten people who would--and do!--admit to loving Jesus. Plenty more than ten.

These emails are blatant emotional manipulation.

If we have a fire--a conviction, not a guilt-ridden burden!--to share the message of Jesus Christ, we need to get out there and LIVE it. Just clicking "forward" isn't going to cut it, especially if the forward tells people that they're ashamed and obviously don't have time for God if they click "delete" instead.

Think about whom you're sending such a message to before you send it. Please, think before you click!

More about forwards.

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

*applauds* Well said!

Anonymous said...

Oh man, Courtney - YES and AMEN and MORE POWER TO YA!!!! I couldn't have said it better. It still blows my mind how people can beat others over the head with Christ. Something doesn't fit there.

Anonymous said...

Goodness, the people that read my blog loved this, too! Go read their compliments!

Luk and Holly said...

Amen sister,... preach it!

Anonymous said...

Even with my junk filter set up, I still get these things from my circle of people. I just got one today! Courtney, you stated it all so well. Keep us thinking!

thegermanygirl said...

Patricia: Thanks! Did I get a standing ovation? (I'm amused, picturing you leaping to your feet and clapping at home.) ;o)

And thanks for advertising for me--I did enjoy reading those comments!

Steve: It blows my mind, too,and you're right, it doesn't fit! We can't lead anyone to Christ by bludgeoning them!

Luk & Holly: Will do. ;o) Thanks!

Michelle: Oh, we still get them, too, even though we ask people not to send them. I guess they don't think we mean it. I'm not sure how much more clearly I could say it, though! ;o)