Wednesday, June 07, 2006

improving my vocabulary

A few days ago, I watched the movie "Billy Elliott" for the first time. What a terrific story! Quintessential coming-of-age kind of thing, about a boy who wants to become a ballet dancer against his father's wishes. Sweet, heartwarming, funny, inspiring.

I hesitate to recommend it, though, because the language was awful. However, the film is set in England in 1984, and all of the characters have extremely strong accents. So an American watching the movie without subtitles wouldn't be able to understand it well enough to hear the bad words, anyway. ;o)

The real reason I'm posting about this is: In the movie, Billy Elliott tells his ballet teacher not to lose her temper. His phrase is, "Don't lose your blob." Now, lest you think I'm posting bad language without knowing it, I looked up the phrase and found out that they made it up for the movie, improvising it on the spot during that particular scene. So to those of you with your minds in the gutter, it's nothing vulgar!

Anyway, I'm announcing that in an effort to expand my vocabulary, I'm going to start using this phrase. So, if you think I'm being silly or pretentious or needlessly eccentric.....don't lose your blob over it, okay?

No comments: