Monday, September 17, 2007

setting healthy boundaries


Just something I consciously thought of that I wanted to record for future reminding:

Other people have the right to be sad that Ed and I are moving from Chemnitz. They also have the right to express this sadness.

Other people have a right to be happy that we're coming to Oklahoma. They also have the right to express this happiness.

My emotions and my thoughts about moving should not depend on the emotions or the thoughts of others. If they do depend on the emotions and thoughts of others, this means that I am choosing not to set healthy boundaries.

I have the right to be sad that we are moving from Chemnitz. I have the right to be upset that I have to be separated from my friends. I have the right to be frustrated that our necessary decisions have led to this. I have the right to express these things.

I also have the right to be excited about the future positives of living in Oklahoma. And I have the right to express that excitement.

I have the right to say that I am looking forward to good times and grand adventures, and I have the right to say that leaving Chemnitz tears me up inside. I am allowed to feel these things.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

wow courtney, really well said. and amen to all of it--I just pulled grady aside and read it to him too, you hit the nail right on the head. (thanks for that)

thegermanygirl said...

Well, looking back on it months later, I find that these thoughts are still good ones for me to keep in mind--they do things to improve my culture-shocking attitude. ;o)