Saturday, February 09, 2008

one of the reasons i like living on the north american continent


Ed and I now live within easy driving distance of both sets of parents.

This means that the six of us can get together. Tonight, we did just that, as Ed's folks are in town for the weekend. I know I've mentioned before how much I am enjoying being around family...

...but have I mentioned before how much I am enjoying being around family? ;o)

It's just neat to sit in my parents' living room, look around, and see my parents and his parents, chatting together, laughing together, and getting to know each other better. They've been a part of each other's lives for ten years. I feel all cozy and pleased to think that they're finally able to spend time together, and Ed and I can be part of that and get to know our parents as they relate to each other.

My grandparents never really had that. My grandmas corresponded with each other for forty years, but the four of them never got together simply for the pleasure of getting to know one another. I'm very thankful that in this next generation, my parents and Ed's are taking a different path--and a more heart-oriented one, I believe.

Culture shock and missing Germany aside...this is nice.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

That's great, Courtney, and I'm happy to see the light shining in the midst of culture shock gloom :-) Tell 'em all we said, "hello" by the way!

Anonymous said...

Hey,
I love to read your blog and staying updated all the time even though you're sooooo far away- thanks!
I also enjoy hearing about your wonderful experiences with family and you repeating it over and over really gives me the impression that you are happy there, which again makes me happy......
I am glad that you get to spend so much time with people you love and that you start (slowly) to have a somewhat normal life in your new/old ????? home...
I love you 2 a lot,
Ja-9

thegermanygirl said...

2 Dresden ladies: Thanks to both of you for reading, empathizing, and letting me know you're there! I love you both very much and miss you a lot. Though I know I'm slow to respond, I'm always very glad and thankful to hear from both of you!