Thursday, June 12, 2008

the one where i make another creative discovery

...said discovery being the realization that the laundry room of our apartment complex is an excellent place for working on my novel. Especially because I'm usually the only person there.

Procedure is as follows:

1. Take laundry to laundry room.
2. Stick laundry in washers.
3. Set up laptop.
4. Begin writing with no distractions, namely:

a. Internet
b. books
c. chores
d. Internet
e. paperwork
d. other that I can't think of right now
f. have I mentioned Internet?

5. Keep writing.
6. Take laundry out of washers.
7. Put laundry in dryers.
8. Write some more.
9. Keep writing.
10. Have a very productive writing day.

This completes Courtney's Ten-Step Laundry Program For Creative Writing.

2 comments:

Alisha said...

I bet the rhythmic sound of the washer and dryer is a nice background noise for writing.

thegermanygirl said...

It really is! White noise definitely does my writing good. Until, that is, someone puts clothes in the one dryer that has a belt problem, and then the room is filled with sounds like the squealing of a stuck pig. But eventually, I'm able to filter those out, too. ;o)