Sunday, December 28, 2008

celebrating my 500th blopgost

Title is self-explanatory. ;o)

To celebrate said self-explanatoriness, as well as to celebrate my return to blogging after a long (for me) hiatus, I give you the following--and, I think, rather appropriate--quote:

"Younger people, one could point out, are the only ones for whom it seems to have sunk in that the idea of a truly private life is already an illusion. Every street in New York has a surveillance camera. Each time you swipe your debit card at Duane Reade or use your MetroCard, that transaction is tracked. Your employer owns your e-mails. The NSA owns your phone calls. Your life is being lived in public whether you choose to acknowledge it or not.

"So it may be time to consider the possibility that young people who behave as if privacy doesn’t exist are actually the sane people, not the insane ones. For someone like me, who grew up sealing my diary with a literal lock, this may be tough to accept. But under current circumstances, a defiant belief in holding things close to your chest might not be high-minded. It might be an artifact—quaint and naïve, like a determined faith that virginity keeps ladies pure. Or at least that might be true for someone who has grown up 'putting themselves out there' and found that the benefits of being transparent make the risks worth it.

"Shirky describes this generational shift in terms of pidgin versus Creole. 'Do you know that distinction? Pidgin is what gets spoken when people patch things together from different languages, so it serves well enough to communicate. But Creole is what the children speak, the children of pidgin speakers. They impose rules and structure, which makes the Creole language completely coherent and expressive, on par with any language. What we are witnessing is the Creolization of media.'

"That’s a cool metaphor, I respond. 'I actually don’t think it’s a metaphor,' he says. 'I think there may actually be real neurological changes involved'..."

--from "Say Everything" by Emily Nussbaum"
(long article, but very worth the read, if you'll give it about 15 minutes)


Things that make ya go "hmmmmm...." That, or oo-ee-oo-ah-ah.

2 comments:

Aaron Pogue said...

I had to post that link as a "Further Reading" on my projects log, because it directly informs my 2008 NaNoWriMo novel (which is the foundation of my current series).

Honestly, that first paragraph in your quote sums up the premise of my novel. It's one of those sci-fi-but-not-really novels that you have to set in the future because readers wouldn't believe you if you told them this is all happening right now.

Thanks for sharing the article! Now I'd have a little bit of proof to back me up.

thegermanygirl said...

You're welcome. That article kind of scares me, because part of me is still in the generational mindset that privacy still exists. But the other part of me (and this might be where the figurative DID kicks in again) wholly accepts that the concept has become naught more than a concept and not reflective of our world's reality at all.

I might need to re-post this one or at least disseminate it via email. People need to be thinking about this.