Wednesday, September 16, 2009

hi, my name is courtney, and i'm an introvert

"Oh, for years I denied it. After all, I have good social skills. I am not morose or misanthropic. Usually. I am far from shy. I love long conversations that explore intimate thoughts or passionate interests. But at last I have self-identified and come out to my friends and colleagues. In doing so, I have found myself liberated from any number of damaging misconceptions and stereotypes. Now I am here to tell you what you need to know in order to respond sensitively and supportively to your own introverted family members, friends, and colleagues. Remember, someone you know, respect, and interact with every day is an introvert, and you are probably driving this person nuts. It pays to learn the warning signs."

--Jonathan Rauch
in "Caring For Your Introvert"

Read the full article here. However, caveat emptor: If you're an extrovert, you might not appreciate the tongue-in-cheekiness. ;o)

Thanks to Aaron for pointing this one out.

2 comments:

Alisha said...

Very interesting.

amy nickerson said...

I'm an introvert too! Isn't that funny? I never thought of myself as one but over the years I see it more. It's not that I can't be social and hold a conversation, even in group settings. But it's just that I thrive from my alone time and it allows me to recharge...whereas being in a large group setting drains me, even if I have a good time. I don't mind claiming I'm introverted anymore. It's really not a bad thing!