Saturday, August 25, 2007

stay away from tanning / beds


Here are a few things I just read on the website of the The Skin Cancer Foundation. Both of my grandmothers had skin cancer, and I inherited extremely fair skin from both of them, so my risk factor for skin cancer is way high. So I try to use sunscreen and wear protective clothing as much as possible. And keep in mind that tanned skin is damaged skin! I just burn and freckle anyway. ;o)

So here are a few facts I picked up from the site above and thought I would share for educational purposes:

--> More than 90 percent of all skin cancers are caused by sun exposure.

--> A person's risk for skin cancer doubles if he or she has had five or more sunburns.

--> Ultraviolet radiation (UVR) is a proven human carcinogen, according to the U.S. Department of Health and Human Services.

--> Exposure to tanning beds before age 35 increases melanoma risk by 75 percent.

--> Nearly 30 million people tan indoors in the U.S. annually; 2.3 million of them are teens.

--> On an average day in the U.S., more than 1 million people tan in tanning salons; 70% are Caucasian women aged 16-49.

--> People who use tanning beds are 2.5 times more likely to develop squamous cell carcinoma and 1.5 times more likely to develop basal cell carcinoma.

--> Occasional use of tanning beds almost triples the chances of developing melanoma.

--> New high-pressure sunlamps emit doses of UVR that can be as much as 15 times that of the sun.

--> The indoor tanning industry has an estimated revenue of $5 billion.

--> Up to 90 percent of the visible skin changes commonly attributed to aging are caused by the sun. These changes can be seen as early as in one's 20's.
(I can attest to that! ;o)


The Food and Drug Administration in the USA is starting a new labeling system for sunscreen: The labels will now show the protection factor against UVA as well as UVB. So look for SPF (or SBPF) of 50+ and 3-4 stars when you shop for suncreen!

3 comments:

Alisha said...

Do you know whether the sunscreen labeling is the same in Germany as in the U.S.? I mean, is a "30" on the bottle in Germany the same as a "30 SPF" on the bottle in the U.S. The reason I was wondering about it is because I was looking for sunscreen in Austria and was finding bottles with numbers like 3, 5, 8. I think the highest I found was 20 or 25. I figured it would be the same in Germany and Austria, but I can't tell if it's the same as the U.S.

Anonymous said...

Wow... That are some interesting and kinda scary infos... Thanks for sharing!
Is there anything that you are not endangered (?) get? Poor you seem to have/might get more *Krankheiten* than anyone else I know... I feel sorry for you!
You are sooo wonderful! Just wanted you to know ...

thegermanygirl said...

Alisha: I'm not sure about the labeling in Germany or in Austria. In German sunscreens, I never can find anything higher than 20 or 25, either, and since I want a minumum of American 45, I just always buy sunscreen stateside. I don't know if German SPF 20 is the same as American SPF 20, but I don't want to take any chances. Sorry I can't be of more help!

Ja-9: Oh, I'm sure there must be something I'm not in danger of getting (there's your grammar sample ;o). Of course, my life isn't over yet, so we'll see what else comes my way in the future! ;oP

You're welcome for the infos! :o)