Monday, November 26, 2007

brief update


Hi all,

I've gotten a few emails from some of you who are apparently concerned about my recent lack of posting. *sniff* I didn't know I had such a loyal following! ;o) So here's what's what:

We had one Thanksgiving with Ed's family at his brother's house.
We had one Thanksgiving with my family at my grandparents' house.
(Please note apostrophe usage.) ;o)
Much fun and food and fellowship was had by all.

We looked at rental houses.
None of them seemed right for us. The last one we looked at was totally trashed, and the landlord didn't seem terribly motivated to do anything about it.
We decided we wanted something a bit more secure.
So we went to talk to the manager of the apartment complex where we lived before we moved to Chemnitz.
Bernice, the manager, was thrilled to see us again.
We filled out a rent application and are waiting to hear whether or not we get an apartment.

Ed has filled out multiple job applications and has had multiple come-see-us-after-Thanksgiving conversations with prospective employers.
So, no job yet.
But we're hopeful.

Our shipment is scheduled to arrive in port in Houston Dec. 12th.

We've been reconnecting with lots of family and old friends whom we haven't seen in a long time.
I have really been enjoying this. It's nice to know it won't be another two years before I get to see them again.

I'm also missing my family in Chemnitz.
Ahh, the emotional roller coaster never stops.

I want a place to live, a place with my stuff in it, and the settled feeling I need in order to start writing again.

I also want my paintbrushes and some new paints and canvases. Autumn has ben very inspiring of late.

This is already longer than I intended it to be, so I'm gonna quit now.

P.S. If you haven't seen the movie "Babel," please don't. It's not worth it, Brad Pitt and Cate Blanchett notwithstanding.

5 comments:

Valerie said...

I'm glad you're getting some good times to balance out all frustration of not being settled yet. I hope you guys find your place (in all senses of the word) soon.

I would love to know what Bailey's Honors memories were...I'm surprised he hasn't blocked us from his mind!

Patricia said...

Yay, it's good to see you blogging again! I figured things were in a state of flux for you. If you ever want to drive north a bit, you know where to find me! The next time I get two days off in a row, I'm going to try to head south!

amy nickerson said...

Courtney! I still haven't seen you! I don't have a number to reach you at, so email me or something so we can get together sometime soon!

The Raabs said...

Thanks for taking the time to update - I know how much you like your writing to be writing.
I can imagine how frustrating it must be at the moment (and yet sooo nice too), so hang in there and enjy every minute ;-)
Oh and thanks for the heads-up about "Babel". I have been wanting to see it (simply the idea of language and what can be done with it). Can you tell me what you didn't like about it? (I always like a review by someone I trust).

thegermanygirl said...

Val: Well, apparently he remembers more than I do, because he showed me the test he was giving that day, and he thought I would know everything on it. I didn't recognize any of it! Except for Francis of Assisi. ;o)

Thanks for the good wishes! Hopefully, we'll be able to move into our apartment next week, and that will help us at least start finding our place. In all senses of the word. :o)

Patricia: Hey, come on south then! We currently have no accomodations to offer (it's the whole "state of flux" kicking in again), but I would still dearly love to see you! Let me know when!

Amy: I know, I know, I'm a slacker! I'm sending you an email with our phone number right now!

Scott: Review is done, as you already know. ;o) Yes, life is currently very nice and very frustrating at the same time....so what's new? ;oD Hopefully, I can really start writing tomorrow--when I have the American power cable I need to plug in my external hard drive with all my files.