Thursday, November 08, 2007

courtney will euch updaten


Hello dahlings,

Well, it is currently 06:27 a.m. here in unexpectedly mild-weathered Oklahoma. As many of you already know, Ed and I arrived here Tuesday night with no problems. Oh sure, there was a delay in Chicago, and as far as Pippin was concerned, the trip was the worst thing that has ever occurred in the history of the universe, but other than minor frustrations and the quite vocal protestations of the feline persuasion, we arrived here safe and sound.

There was only one minor, teensy-weensy negative aspect to the whole thing.

On the long flight from Frankfurt to Chicago, I had an aisle seat.

Across the aisle from me was an older man.

Who sneezed.

A lot.

A LOT.

In my direction.

I couldn't escape.

I turned my head away.

Apparently to no avail.

Guess what I have now?

"Hi Courtney! Welcome to the new chapter in your life! Wouldn't you like your usual sinus infection to go along with it?"

I do not have to tell you how I feel about this.

So far, at least, it's not too bad. I'm not sure yet if I'll need to go to a doctor. In the meantime, I got up at 6 a.m. because I had this terrific sensation of drowning while I was lying in bed. I didn't enjoy that very much. So I got up. Problem Solving For The Internationally Rootless. ;o) I am so glad I have my nose shower.

I hope that by my sarcasm, you can tell that I'm acutally in a fairly good mood. ;o)

Here's a brief recap of what's been going on so far:

--About 20 people met us at the airport. That was really neat and gave me warm fuzzies. We didn't get to talk to everyone extensively, of course, but it was nice to see faces we haven't seen in a long time and to know that we're of interest. :o)

--From the airport, we went with both sets of parents to my parents' house, where we had Mexican food for dinner. That alone would have been amazing, of course, but what really topped the cake was knowing that this was only the second time the 6 of us have ever had dinner together. It was really neat to look around the table and to know that if life goes as we hope it will, we'll be able to do this more often now. We also sat around and drank coffee and talked all morning. It was cozy and nice and exciting to tell each other stories of our lives.

--Yesterday was our first Wal-Mart adventure. It was scary and overwhelming. I didn't like it. But the first person we talked to in the store had lived in Germany before and was really nice. So that was comforting. But then other people started talking to us, too, and I suddenly felt weirded out that so many strangers chat with each other over cat food and shelves of aspirin. I *really* had to remind myself that this isn't weird, just different.

--Last night, we went to Bible class at Britton Road, our sponsoring congregation. Saw a lot of people we haven't seen in a long time. Got a lot of hugs. Heard a lot of "welcome home"s. I didn't like that part. Heard a lot of "we know you're not coming home, but we're still glad to see you here." I liked that part. One of the elders, Charlie, said he was looking forward to sitting down with us and hearing us talk about Jim, because he's been interested in everything we've said about Jim in various emails. I was really impressed and felt sehr gut aufgehoben when Charlie expressed that personal, specific interest in our thoughts.

I felt out of place because of the size of everything: enormous building, big crowd of people, umpteen different classes to choose from. I felt out of place because of the cultural references made in the Bible class we ended up in. I felt out of place because a lot of people greeted me by name, and I couldn't remember theirs.

But I didn't feel as out of place as I expected to. I think it was good that our first visit there was on a Wednesday night instead of a Sunday morning. I feel like I was able to stick my foot in the water and see what's what before going swimming. Nothing nibbled on my toes, so I guess I'm okay so far. ;o)

So that's the new chapter so far. Today, if I'm not deathly ill, I need to go buy some black boots; Ed wants to stop by Oklahoma Christian Academy to talk to someone about talking to someone about talking to someone about a possible job ;o) and tonight, we're going with my parents to see the musical "West Side Story" at OC.

And at some point, I'm going to take a nap.

Maybe after breakfast. ;o)

9 comments:

Patricia said...

*HUGSHUGSHUGS*

It's quite the change of pace for you, I know. I'm so thankful things went smoothly. To think I was in that same airport only hours before you were! I wish I could have been in OKC to greet you, but I'm sure we'll meet up somehow soon!

April said...

Hey, I'm so glad there were so many people there to greet you! I bet that was a good feeling. Love ya!

The Raabs said...

Although I definitely don't want you uncomfortable, it was comforting to me to hear your experiences and realize that we are not the only ones who feel like that (and we were just back on furlough). Thanks for sharing!
We are praying for you both and are excited about the new adventure you have before you with a wonderful, mighty, caring God.

Joel Muller said...

I was that guy on the plane when I came home from Germany last time. I just finished helping with renovations in Ghent and I think I got too much Belgian dust in my lungs and it gave me like pneumonia.
So they stuck me in the back and people kept looking back when I hacked like in that movie outbreak.
Ah good times, good times...

Anonymous said...

hiii! so nice to hear how it's been going! glad you had a good trip and that you're feeling wohl despite all sinus infections/*differences*. thinking of you!

Anonymous said...

Glad to see your keeping your conversation "not wierd, just different, in mind!! Give the Nashes a big hug from Pam and me!!! love ya, Frau

Anonymous said...

hi courtney, we were just laughing and looking back at old photos and videos, thinking of you! and hi from marion, she sends you a big german hug!

Tina said...

Hi Courtney!
I didn't know you would leave Germany, too! We miss your parents here in Wiesbaden and now you are gone, too :-(

But I'm glad you had a good trip and I pray your sinus will go away soon!

Happy Thanksgiving!
And please say Hello to your parents from me.

thegermanygirl said...

Patricia: I'm sure we will, too, and I'm looking forward to that very much!

April: Yes, it was definitely a good feeling! It made our arrival feel a little more "homey," a little more like we're supposed to be here. That's a bittersweet feeling, I guess. :o)

Scott: Oh, you guys are definitely not the only ones who feel disoriented being over here! But the prayers do help, as we know that God is still providing us with everything we need...including everything we need to adjust and find our place here.

Joel: I think if you hacked in my direction, I'd hafta quarantine ya. Or at least shove tissues up your nose. ;o)

Allison: It means a lot to know that you're thinking of me even in the middle of your own moving issues. Thank you! Tell Marion and everybody else I said viele Grüße!

Frau: I think about it every day....multiple times! It really does help....and it also helps to know that you're still thinking of us! :o)

Tina: Well, I know my parents miss everyone in Wiesbaden, too! Thanks for the good wishes and the prayers!