Saturday, October 03, 2009

book comments 18

Preamble that is not a preamble.


"Gods Tomorrow" by Aaron Pogue
--sci-fi, set in the near future in which all human activity is recorded (video and audio)
--strong, engaging main character in Katie, part of an FBI team that tracks down people who manage to get themselves off-camera and off-audio
--first in a series
--brilliant concept, engaging characters, vivid world-building
--an almost scary marker pointing toward a very believable possible future
--The concept is somewhat Orwellian, but far more accessible, if that makes any sense. Aaron himself calls it a "beach read," without meaning to disparage his own story, and I agree: You could read this for fun in your free time and just enjoy it for the sheer, non-stop adventure of it all...or, so choosing, you could let your mind consider the deeper implications--both for the world at large and for yourself personally.
--I devoured the book twice and was just as captured by the author's storying skill the second time through.
--I'm not just saying all this because Aaron's my friend. It's all true, and if you don't believe me, we'll just see who's right after Aaron gets published and takes the world by storm. So there.
--The movie is gonna be CRAMAZING.
--highly recommend

;o)

"Expectation" by Aaron Pogue
--fun, hook-you-with-the-first-line, leave-you-wanting-more second novel in Aaron's "Gods Tomorrow" series
--further (mis?)adventures of Katie, who just can't seem to get any downtime ;o)
--even better than the first book--and not just because the future of humanity is at stake, either
--clears up a few things about Katie's past....and, of course, inspires more questions about the same...and about her future...and...and.... *sigh*
--very strong writing (seemingly effortless), giving the reader maximum "info" without unnecessary wordage
--This one has a worrisome love triangle to engage the girl in me. ;oD
--This one especially makes me want to have a Martin in my life--or even a (limited?) Hathor. To understand that remark, you're just gonna hafta wait and read. ;o)
--UPDA*
--highly recommend

"The Mortal Instruments, Book One: City of Bones" by Cassandra Clare
--paranormal YA fantasy set in present-day world
--basic story sounds has-done: normal girl Clary stumbles onto "magical" world and finds out she's not as ordinary as she thought
--BUT. The author takes a fresh tack on the magical world, which saves the story from been-there-done-that-ness.
--enjoyable, easy read, vivid characters, strong writing
--I wanted to edit some adverbs several times throughout, but that might just be personal preference talking. ;o)
--I will be reading the sequel.
--recommend to anyone who enjoys the genre

"From The Corner of His Eye" by Dean Koontz
--thriller revolving around good people to whom bad things happen, a psycho who's evil and not as smart as he thinks he is but still smart enough to be deadly to Our Heroes, and spiritual themes that make this, in my opinion, one of the most significant novels ever written
--spiritual theme, summarized in a line which I have adopted as a tag in this blog and as one of my personal goals/mantras: "Brighten the corner where you are, and you will light the world."
--wound up in quantum theory, cause & effect (as in, effect coming before cause, "spooky effects at a distance"), n-dimensions, and the interconnectedness of every point in the universe
--And at the same time, you've got flawed protagonists just trying to make something beautiful while being pursued by one of the creepiest, most arrogant, most believable villains ever.
--Don't tell me that all of this doesn't make you want to read this book. ;o)
--This was my second read-through of this novel, and I've decided this is my favorite Koontz.
--UPDA
--highly recommend

"Catching Fire" by Suzanne Collins
--brilliant sequel to "The Hunger Games," which I mentioned here, and which is being made into a movie, let the people say OH YEAH.
--picks up where Hunger Games left off, with Katniss trying to adjust to life back in District 12--with little success and with new threats from the government looming
--But. No spoilers from me. Just know that it's a fun, easy, engaging, make-you-think read.
--UPDA. I read it in two days. ;o)
--highly recommend

"The Ruins" by Scott Smith
--present-day thriller set in Mexican jungle, revolving around hapless tourists apparently being held captive by crazy Mayans
--Or are they?
--Something's mos def after these people...but again, no spoilers from me. ;o)
--strong, vivid writing, style flows very well
--The characterization kind of threw me--very different from what I'm used to reading. Point-of-view contributed to the oddness: POV was from four main characters, but it was like an omniscient narrator was inside each character's head. I'm sure there's a technical term for this, but it escapes me. Anyway...the narrator never intrudes, really; the reader just gets occasional hints of things that the characters might or might not realize.
--Both female MCs annoyed me a lot of the time--mostly the negativity and cluelessness. But they had enough redeeming qualities to keep me from hating them outright. ;o)
--definitely UPDA
--recommend--highly, to anyone who enjoys thrillers--but prepare to be grossed out ;o)


That's all for this round. I haven't been reading as voraciously since my last blogged comments--but the ones I have read have been good ones. Guess I need to get my hands on some PDAs**--no, not what you're thinking! lol --to gain some perspective.

Or not. ;oD

2009 Book Count To-Date: 33


*UPDA = UnPutDownAble

**PDAs = PutDownAbles

No comments: