Thursday, October 22, 2009

book comments 19

Shorter than usual! Because I haven't let 'em pile up this time! Zoinks!

"The Angel of Darkness" by Caleb Carr
Characters from Carr's wonderful "The Alienist" return to solve the case of an abducted child.
--set in the late 1800s, when psychology was a new field and much of the "science" was guesswork and superstition
--particularly interesting because the antagonist suffers from Munchausen syndrome by proxy
--fascinating look at New York City in 1897--the city itself, its people, and their mindsets
--vivid, realistic, engaging characters, with an endearing narrator whose voice is *perfect* for this story
I skimmed some of the longer descriptions of places and high society people, but otherwise remained engrossed in the tale.
--highly recommend, especially to anyone interested in psychology and/or historical fiction

"Redeeming Love" by Francine Rivers
Ah me, there are SO many hurt people in my life who I wish could read this book.
--story of the biblical Hosea, set in 1850s goldrush California
--main character is a former prostitute named Angel: baggage, attitude, and strength/weakness
--story of a human trying to leave an old, terrible life behind --> something we all can relate to
--story of sacrifice; self-sacrificial love; how bitterness and envy can poison an entire family; idolatry in marriage; the human struggle oftentimes *against* grace; the pain of accepting redemption
This story will tear your heart out, rip it to shreds, and then put it seamlessly back together with Love.
--UPDA
--highly recommend

The Mortal Instruments, Book Two: City of Ashes" by Cassandra Clare
--sequel to "City of Bones," which I commented on here
--fast-paced, fun, smart, sexy read
--engaging characters, fascinating modern fantasy setting
--*better than the first one!!!* I only had the editing urge ONE time! ;o)
--highly recommend to fantasy fans or to those who read the first book


2009 Book Count To-Date: 36

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I loved both of Caleb Carr's books in this "series". I recently re-read The Alienist, and plan to do so with The Angel of Darkness within the next several months or so.

For a good psychology read, another great book is The Family Crucible. It's not actually fiction, rather, it is written by a family therapist trying to illustrate the uniqueness and benefits of family therapy. He follow the story of one family through their entire therapy experience. It reads like a novel with a few asides to discuss the development of family therapy an such. You can read more about it here: http://ezinearticles.com/?A-Review-of-The-Family-Crucible&id=1436591

by the way, I am tickled that some of your favorite books match mine as well. Herbert, Card, and Tolkien are probably my 3 favorite authors. I am also a big fan of the Dark Tower series...I've read up through Wolves of the Calla.

I am curious, have you read East of Eden, by Steinbeck? His writing is hit or miss for me, but that book ranks in among my top favorites.

thegermanygirl said...

Slow, slow me, just now responding to this... *sigh*

Sadly, I have not read "East of Eden." It's always been on my Read This (Someday) list, though...so I'm going to put it on my To-Read list (which is more immediate).

(Most immediate is my To-Read Shelf...so if I find Steinbeck the next time I'm at the Halfprice bookstore, I'll be adding him to the shelf!)

The Family Crucible does look good... Did you know I minored in Psych? I'm always up for a family therapy read. Never liked the theory side of the field, but the practical stuff piques my interest every time.

Didn't you tell me you started the last Dark Tower book? Or were going to start soon? Is that now a reality? And if so, how goes it???