Sunday, January 07, 2007

difficult announcement

 
Well, we've told the church in Chemnitz, and we included the news in our update letter yesterday, so I guess I might as well share it here, too. Although, I think most people who read this blog are either in the Chemnitz church or recipients of the update letter! Oh well, please forgive me for repeating myself. 

Anyway, the item of news is this: Ed and I have decided that if God makes it possible, we're going to move back to Oklahoma in October 2007. There are several reasons, of course--there always are for such things--but one of the main ones is his dad's health. If God wills it, Ed would just really like to be able to spend time with his dad before that isn't possible anymore. It's strange to think that we're old enough now that we've begun to think of our parents' mortality as a reality. But it's a fact, and one that we can deny only to our own detriment. So we choose to face it for what it is and react accordingly. Burying our heads in the sand and pretending......that just isn't an option. 

Making this decision was so difficult. Honestly, it just tears my heart out. I feel terribly wounded, even though I know that this is the right decision at this time. Telling our Chemnitz family that we're leaving.....it's one of the hardest things Ed and I have ever had to do. We both hated to do it. Because the Chemnitz church and our friends here....these relationships go beyond friendship. These people are our family. This is home. And I don't want to leave. 

I'm going to stop writing now, because if I don't, I'm going to start crying, and that won't help the sinus infection. 

Here's what helps me, though, and it's something we tell everyone when we announce that we're moving: Just because we're leaving Chemnitz now doesn't mean we won't be back! Life with God is a neverending adventure, and we'll always go where he leads us. Who knows where that might be in the future!

5 comments:

Valerie said...

Well I don't get your update and it would be quite a commute for me to make it to church at Chemnitz, so thanks for posting it!

Anyway, I know that decisions like that are never made lightly. I can't imagine having to decide whether or not to move "home". It's going to be easy for the rest of us to forget quite how much you're going to be going through in the coming months. Feel free to remind us all via your blog that you need lots of support. (Either way, we'll be praying for you guys through these transition times.)

So what will this be for you now, Courtney? Reverse-reverse-reverse-reverse culture shock?

thegermanygirl said...

Oh, thanks so much, Val! That kind of support is going to be invaluable....and vital, too. I won't deny that I'm a bit apprehensive about moving back, especially in regard to the issue of culture shock! I think that technically, your four "reverses" would be right.....but I gave up a long time ago trying to figure out exactly which reverse means what! ;o)

Anonymous said...

LOL Val!

Anonymous said...

Oh, and just so I don't seem callous, I'm supporting you guys, too, but you already know that since I talked to you on the phone, being here in Germany and all that :)

thegermanygirl said...

I know you're not being callous, Bri! We commiserate very well about such things, and I'm glad I can always talk them out with you! :o)