Saturday, January 27, 2007

today is my real birthday

 
As part of my ongoing effort to grow in faith and to focus on God's will instead of the will of the culture in which I live, I would like to ruminate briefly upon the subject of birthdays: 

Why do Christians celebrate the day of their physical birth? Oh yes, I understand all the reasons: It's nice to have a special day on which we can tell each other, "I'm glad you're here, I'm glad you're my friend, and I want to express my appreciation for you." That's all fine, and I have no problem with that whatsoever. 

But that begs the question as to why we honor the person who was born, instead of showering appreciation upon the woman who gave birth to that person, or both the woman and the man without whom that birth wouldn't have been possible. 

But that, conversely, begs the question as to why we don't use that birthday to shower praise and honor solely upon the Creator without whom neither mother nor father nor birth would ever have been, since he is the only one who truly deserves praise for the existence of anything. Hmmmmm....... 

And, as Christians, why don't we celebrate the day of our spiritual birth with even more enthusiasm and excitement than we do our physical birthdays? 

So, in the spirit of these thoughts, I would like to share this with all of you: 

Today is my birthday! Sixteen years ago today, I was immersed into Christ for the forgiveness of my sins and to receive the gift of the Holy Spirit. As of today, I have been alive in Christ for sixteen years. And that life is great.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Happy *real* birthday!!!!!!!!!

Anonymous said...

Happy birthday Court!!!!
Thanks for having me over on this very special day!
And praise God for working in you in so many special ways and for you sharing HIS love with us as your friends! Love ya lots...

thegermanygirl said...

Anonymous: Thank you!!!!!!

Ja-9: Thanks!!! And I'm so glad you came over! It was really great just to hang out with you for awhile and talk.

I praise God for the way he works in *you*, for your openness, and for your loving heart!

Love you too,
C.