Sunday, February 11, 2007

1. Corinthians 13 made practical

Bri posted something on her blog yesterday that I think is worth posting on mine, too. Here it is, followed by an expansion of the comments I left on Bri's blog:

1 CORINTHIANS 13 (For Missionaries):

If I speak the language like a native,
But have not love, I am a noisy gong or a clanging cymbal.
And If I have all the answers,
So as to convert millions, but have not love,
I gain nothing.
Love is patient with the home congregation
And kind to demanding converts;
Love is not jealous of fellow missionaries,
Boastful because it is American,
Nor rude to its hosts.
Love does not insist on its own mission methods,
And does not become frustrated nor embittered.
It does not rejoice in the failures of its fellow workers,
But truly rejoices at their successes.
Love will stand all criticism,
Give consideration to all advice,
Help all beggars,
And endure all visitors.
Love never ends;
As for methods, they will pass away;
As for language, it shall cease;
As for cultural understanding, it will pass away.
For our understanding is imperfect;
But where love abounds, such imperfections are overshadowed.
Before I went into the field, I knew all the answers;
When I became mature I pondered my presumptiveness.
For then I saw romantically and confidently,
But now realistically and humbly;
Then I thought I knew the heathen,
But now they have come to know me.
Cultural understanding,
Methods,
And Love abide, these three,
But the greatest of these is love!

(paraphrased by Dan and Joyce Hardin)
(Taken from Christian Woman, January 1974)

My thoughts:

Ouch. I've had a copy of this for several years, and I take it out and read it about once a year.....and I'm thinking it's been too long since the last time I read it.

One of the most difficult things for a missionary--or any leader in the church, for that matter--to do is keep focus, keep the right perspective. Frustrations do build up.....and as for me, sometimes I erroneously feel like I'm not allowed to voice them. After all, I'm supposed to be setting an example of longsuffering and faith, right?

Right. But part of longsuffering is being able to voice frustrations--and release tensions--with the right attitude. And my attitude is wrong so very often. I am critical, I am judgmental, and I am proud. (I don't care how you try to euphemize it.....being proud is a sin. And when I give in to it, I am hurting instead of helping people around me. But I'll write on that subject more extensively another time.)

I think this paraphrase of 1. Corinthians 13 applies not only to "missionaries". After all, what is a missionary? One who goes out to tell others about Jesus. Another word for such a person is evangelist.

Or Christian.

Because every Christian, by definition, is supposed to be an evangelist. Every Christian is supposed to be a missionary. Not necessarily in the context of going to a foreign country (or coming back to their own country) to evangelize. But every single one of us is supposed to be living, thinking, speaking, loving, breathing in such a way as to represent Christ on earth. If you are a Christian, you are an ambassador from God, sent to reach out to those who don't know him.

It's not the preachers' job. It's not the elders' job. It's not the missionaries' job. It's not the Bible class teachers' job.

It's your job.

I'm not writing this to inspire guilt in anyone. This isn't supposed to be a why-aren't-you-out-there-doing-your-job? kind of post. But the paraphrase above got me thinking, since it's subtitled "For Missionaries". We need to expand our definition of the word "missionary." The current definition seems to be "someone who goes to a foreign country and leads and teaches in a local church" or something like that. But I believe we need to re-think that.

Ephesians 6 describes Christians as soldiers in a spiritual war against evil. C.S. Lewis describes us as soldiers sent behind enemy lines to sabotage Satan's plans. If you're a Christian, God has put his armor on you, he has given you the weapons you need, and he considers you ready for battle. He has led you into battle, and you have followed. You are now behind enemy lines, and your job is to help free the captives.

You can do it with your words. You can do it with the decisions you make each day. You can do it with a smile, with encouraging words, with the time that you give to another. You can do it by being a shoulder to cry on. You don't have to leave your country, your city, or even your neighborhood. Maybe all you need to do is step out your front door (remember what Bilbo said!) and start a conversation with the guy next-door. Just brighten your corner of the world with the love that Jesus is giving you every moment of your life.

To be the soldier that God has made you, just open your eyes, look closely at the people you see......take those loving concepts from 1. Corinthians and start living them.


5 comments:

Mgam said...

Great post Courtney. I'm glad you suggested I read it. I think you hit the nail on the head. You're right that we need to be doing our part. I know we've discussed this before but it has been on my heart a lot lately. I especially agree with your point about God putting his armor around us and I often forget that. I need embrace that "spirit of power" that Paul reminds Timothy he has and I know I have if I'm willing to grasp it.

amy nickerson said...

Thanks for the great thoughts, Courtney. I was just talking with Jennifer yesterday about how I'm selfishly excited that you'll be stateside come October. Unfortunately, I know what a loss that will be for the Chemnitz church because Ed and you have done amazing things there. I really do miss you though and can't wait until we get to hang out and paint together!!! Take care and stay warm! Hope your able to breathe better!!

thegermanygirl said...

Matt: We all need to embrace it.....but I think that, like Timothy, we're often simply too concerned with our own shortcomings. Maybe it just leads back to the fact that we're always too focused on ourselves.....I don't know. I just hope that someday I can mature far enough to be willing to throw myself entirely into God's will and not worry about the consequences!

Thanks for sharing your thoughts. I'm glad you're glad about my suggestion. ;o)

Amy: Amychen!!! It's so good to hear from you! I'm sorry I still haven't answered your email. When it comes to emailing, I am the worst friend in the world. I told someone recently that I think I want to go back handwriting letters. They don't pile up in my inbox so quickly. ;o)

I'm not allowing myself to think about our actual departure yet......but I'm looking forward to artsy stuff with you, too! I wish I could get all my artsy friends around the world together in the same place. That would make for some ultra-cool painting parties! ;o)

April said...

Court,
Thanks for this post. I do remember reading this before as well... maybe I also got it from Pam. :)

thegermanygirl said...

Hey April April! Man, am I ever behind on answering comments. Yeah, Pam's pretty good about keeping us all plied with helpful and convicting reading materials. ;o)