Friday, February 16, 2007

briefly venting about Elfwood


Okay. So I've got three new pictures in my Elfwood gallery. Just to give you a brief overview: When an Elfwood artist submits pictures to Elfwood, said artist waits about two weeks for the pictures to get approved by moderators. If the moderators approve the pics, the pics are uploaded to the artist's gallery. If the moderators don't approve the pics, they then send the pics back to the artist, along with a rejection notice.

If you want to know their approval criteria, have a go at this. Good luck.

Anyway, on my last "ticket," I had four pictures. Three were accepted, one was rejected. Before I tell you about the rejected one, let me recount the following:

I just finished looking at a recently accepted picture on Elfwood. This picture was a photograph of a brain which the artist had scultped from clay and then painted.

"But wait!" you might say. "Isn't Elfwood a fantasy/sci-fi art gallery? How does a simple brain qualify as fantasy or sci-fi art?"

Well, dear friend, you'd be right in questioning the inclusion of a simple brain. *However*, because the artist called it an orc brain, it perfectly qualifies--under Elfwood Rules--as fantasy art.

As for my picture that was rejected? Ah well, it was merely a painting of a castle. Nothing fantasy about that, right?

But if, in my personal comments about the picture, I had written, "This castle is a repository for the brains of all the orcs Our Hero has slaughtered over the last couple of years," my castle pic would have been perfectly acceptable.


...Wait a minute. Now there's a thought. Okay, here ya go, I'll make you a bet: At some point in the near future, I'll resubmit that picture with that line as the description, and we'll see if I'm right about it getting accepted! I'll keep you posted.

Sheesh.

4 comments:

Patricia said...

That's why I've abandoned Elfwood in favor of Deviantart.com.

Anonymous said...

Hey there,

I looked at your pics and really like them. They are different from the art I have seen of you before... You're such an artist!

I am looking forward to your own online art-gallery that you are planning to have!

Patricia said...

http://www.deviantart.com/deviation/49324743/

THAT reminds me so much of something you would do. :)

I miss you!

thegermanygirl said...

Patricia: I can definitely understand why you turned Deviant! ;o) In Elfwood's favor, though, everything on my last ticket got accepted (including the "non-genre" castle, but only because I designated it "Wizard's Lair"), so I'm currently feeling a bit mollified. ;o)

Thanks for sharing that mermaid pic--and yes, I agree, that does look like something I would do! After all, *everything* is a canvas! ;o)

Ja-9: I'm looking forward to that, too! And thanks for taking the time to look at my art and let me know what you think. I appreciate that so much!!! I get warm fuzzies inside. ;o)