Sunday, June 19, 2005

a few things that tick me on

Back in December, I wrote a list of “a few things that tick me off”. Since then, I’ve been meaning to sit down and compile a list of positive stuff in my life. Yesterday, I led part of our ladies’ breakfast devotional on thankfulness…so I figured it was high time for me to blog about a few things in my life with which God has blessed me. This is a pretty random list...just involving a few things swirling around in my head.

The magazine National Geographic. It’s no accident that this has been one of the most popular geographic and scientific publications since 1888. Every issue I read, I’m more amazed at how much info they manage to pack into it about this beautiful world God has created. And that, of course, is part of what I enjoy the most. The National Geographic Society is most obviously Darwinian and anti-Creation/Design in their thinking. However, the more I learn from NG about science and the way the world works, the more in awe I am…not of men’s wisdom, but of God’s power. Every tidbit of scientific knowledge strengthens my faith in my Lord and Creator. So much for NG’s efforts to “enlighten” me from what I’m sure they would consider my primitive beliefs. ;o)

Though I haven’t worked on it lately, I’m still enjoying my newest painting. I started it, oh, six weeks ago, I suppose. If it turns out the way I imagine, it’ll probably be my best to date…and my most meaningful, because it expresses an integral and not always beneficial part of my personality. I’ll post a work-in-progress pic here sometime soon.

Back in January/February, I rejoiced in visiting Barnes & Noble while Ed and I were in Oklahoma. Wow. Talk about a rush. Do you have any idea how fantastically wonderful it is to walk into a place like that filled with books in your native language??? Yeah, yeah, I read and understand German without any trouble…but it’s pure enjoyment to read my favorite authors in the language in which they actually penned their works. Some things, no matter how skilled the translation, just get lost in translation. I stocked up on about ten books, I think. And I still have enough to tide me over till I am next privileged to walk the hallowed halls of B & N! ;o)

God brought me to Saxony, and the Saxons introduced me to coffee. Coffee is wonderful. Coffee is great. Coffee tastes best with sugar and coffee creamer. YUM!!!

Friends, I am pleased to tell you that IT IS FINALLY SUMMER HERE. In May, things started warming up enough to become slightly uncomfortable. (Well, not for me, but the rest of the mortals don’t seem to like the heat too much.) Then, it started getting colder again. Last week, we had temps in the 40s. That’s FORTIES. As I type this, it is 19:21 (FYI, that’s 7:21 p.m.) in Chemnitz, the sun is shining, and it’s 70.9 degrees Fahrenheit. Ahhh…… I went for an hour-long walk earlier and enjoyed thinking about God and watching the baby ducks in the big pond.

More and more people are realizing that teaching someone about God doesn’t mean just having a Bible study with them.

More and more people are realizing that teaching someone about God doesn’t require being in a paid position with a title.

Though not so advantageous for my hip region, chocolate makes me happy. As for the hips, that’s why God made parks to walk in and lakes to stroll around. ;o)

I’m so thankful that God gave me his Holy Spirit to live in me, guide me in decisions, and change me from the inside out. Without him, I would be nothing.

The other day, Ed and I were sitting on the couch, and I was watching him talk. Suddenly, it was as though I were seeing him for the first time, and I thought, “Wow. I am married. That’s a weird concept. And wow. I’m married to a wonderful man who wants to serve God and help me get to heaven. I can’t begin to understand what a great blessing this man is in my life.”

And that’s all I got to say about that. ;o)

5 comments:

thegermanygirl said...

Thanks for reading, Matt! :o)

Luke and Lauren Weger said...

Courtney, It is great to sit and think about everything that you are grateful for! I know that it helps me with whatever I am going through...thanks for putting it out there for us to read!

Anonymous said...

That's all you've got to say???? That's a first ;)
Just kidding--love your list--a good reminder.

Paul said...

Nice blog. Thanks for what you guys are doing in Germany. Tell Ed that Paul Kelsey (from his OC band days) says hello.

thegermanygirl said...

Luke: I'm so glad you dropped in here! I had been wondering if you guys had abandoned Blogland permanently. ;o) I know what you mean about being thankful when going through tough times. Somehow, the expression of thankfulness replaces worry. Such a relief!
I'm excited to see you guys soon!!!

Bri: Hey, your list was part of my inspiration...but I think you put it all more succinctly than I did. Yours was the reminder for me. :o) Love, C.

Paul: Ed and I both remember you very well! I'm glad you enjoy the blog and left a comment. Thank you so much! It's nice to hear from "OC folks"! ;o)