Thursday, June 23, 2005

The Reason Why Courtney Stays Out Of The Kitchen


WARNING: This blog post is not for the faint of heart or weak of stomach!

This is a picture of the nifty gadget that Ed bought me a few weeks ago. In my efforts to adopt healthier eating habits, I’ve been trying to eat more vegetables. Okay…I’ve just been trying to eat vegetables, period. Most of my life, I’ve been a meat-bread-potatoes girl, and green veggies have never been particularly appealing. But the last few years have taught me that wow! my body really does function better if I put fresh, uncooked things into it—the whole natural-sources-of-vitamins-and-minerals thing really is effective. God created broccoli and cabbage for a reason, it seems.

Okay, so I’ve been trying to eat more veggies, which means salads for me. But there’s a serious drawback: Salad-making is, for me, a tedious process. Which means I’m less likely to do it. Not necessarily because I’m lazy (though I’m sure that’s part of it), but because I can always think of more productive things I could be doing with my time while I’m trying to turn that piece of tomato into something that could conceivably be called diced.

So Ed bought me that nifty gadget, designed to lighten my load and goad me on to health and wholesome eating. This natty doodad slices and shreds and basically need nothing more than elbow grease and a good rinsing after use. As a result of its entry into our home, my salads have been looking more and more appealing, as well as being more enjoyable because I’ve been having oodles of fun preparing them. And when I have fun with food, it tastes a whole lot better.

That is, until yesterday. The following picture shows what I did with my new toy yesterday. If you get all fluttery at the sight of blood, stop reading and looking now.

If you're one of those rare, brave souls, however, please continue on to the post below:

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

sick, sick, sick.... is that a blood stain on the slicer? oh, courtney!!! i'm so sorry you hurt yourself.... is ed making salad's for you now? sorry i haven't written since i returned to the states. it's been a crazy couple of weeks. i miss you both very much! i had such a great time hanging with you in chemnitz. love you! mandy :)

thegermanygirl said...

I miss you too, chica! It's weird to think it's been almost two weeks since you left...the time has flown, and I can't catch my breath. At least things are remaining interesting on this side of the pond...And I wanna hear what's been happening on your side!!! Love, C.

Luke and Lauren Weger said...

ouch! I guess you better stay out of the kitchen unless you want a "different" kind of flavor in your salad...btw, we just updated our blog if you want to check it out...see you soon!

thegermanygirl said...

Okay, that's just gross! Cannibalizing oneself...is there a name for that disorder? ;o) I'll be checkin' out your blog!