Wednesday, February 08, 2006

i've told you a million times not to exaggerate

I think you are exaggerating... Everything I need is in my soul? The Heck it is! Or if so, it must contain a great many virtues and a great deal of wisdom which neither I nor anyone else could ever find there. Very little of what I need at present is in my soul. I mean, even things of the soul's own sort, like humility or truthfulness. And it certainly does not in any obvious sense contain a number of other things which I need at the moment; e.g. a stamp for this letter. Never exaggerate. Never say more than you really mean.

--C.S. Lewis
Letters to Children
April 20, 1959

So much for the popular belief that we humans can be completely self-sufficient. So much for New-Agey metaphysics. We need to quit saying of ourselves "I AM" and start focusing on the One who really is.

No comments: