Wednesday, February 01, 2006

new art in progress (click pics to enlarge)

Just 'cause.

Here I am working on my latest painting. Bad angle, can't see much. But at least you're getting something of a view of the magic in progress. Ha ha.

And here's the painting itself, as it is so far. The title will be "According to the Dove on Far-Off Terebinths." Funny, since there aren't going to be any terebinths in the painting. Terebinths are trees, if you were wondering.

My inspiration for both title and painting came from Psalm 56. In the English Standard Version, the intro to this psalm mentions the doves and terebinths. And verse 8 reads, "You have kept count of my tossings; put my tears in your bottle. Are they not in your book?" Hence, the painting will eventually portray the dove's tears dripping into a bottle drawn on the book's open page. So far, I'm pleased with the way everything's turning out. Except for the candle, which I dislike immensely.

Feedback appreciated.

EDIT: I'd like to point out that in the top pic, I'm wearing one of my trusty painting shirts. It's a Los Angeles Raiders shirt--even though I've never cared that much about baseball teams.... That was a joke, by the way. Ha ha. Anyway, the shirt is about 14 years old, and it used to be black, but now it's gray and covered in paint, and I love it. ;o)

3 comments:

amy nickerson said...

Nice! I remember you talking about doing this painting in December and you were wondering how you'd go about it. I think it's looking great! Way to go!

You know, I've actually thought of trying to show some of my work in a coffee shop or something in Dresden. Of course, I would need to do a few more pieces before I could attempt to do that! But if you're interested, perhaps you'd like to do a showing with me? Think about it!

Anonymous said...

Courtney, I don't think the problem is the candle itself; the holder may be too dark and too plain. Also the table around the holder may be too dark. Would there be that much shadow under a candle? And I think you should do a show with Amy. What fun!! What exposure!!!! Your Mother

thegermanygirl said...

Amy: Thanks for the compliments, chica! I would *love* to do a showing with you.....oooh, exciting!!!!! I'm a bit hesitant, though.... What would we do if people wanted to buy? I don't have a work visa, so it wouldn't be legal for me to sell.
However, that would be the only obstacle! I guess I could just tell people, "No, I don't want your money, but I'll take chickens or a bushel of turnips in payment if you have any." ;o)

Mama: Yay, I'm so excited that you commented on my blog! That makes me happy. :o)
On to the painting... I'm not quite done with the holder yet, so it won't look wuite so plain in the final image. I've done a bit more work on the candle in the meantime, so I'm starting to become friends with it.
The lighting in the digital pic is atrocious, so the whole painting looks a tad darker than it really is....However, I do concede that I still have a lot to learn about painting light and shadow! :o)
Am thinking about the showing idea...We'll see what happens!
Love,
Your Daughter