Tuesday, July 24, 2007

my "political" opinion


Two prefacing thoughts:

1. I don't enjoy politics.
2. I don't usually pay attention to the political opinions of celebrities.

That said, I'd like to comment on a brief interview with Ben Harper that I watched a few minutes ago. I have one album of Harper's and enjoy it quite a bit and have considered purchasing more of his work but haven't gotten around to it. Anyway, in the interview, he said something that I have thought for a long time. I can't quote him directly, because I don't remember his exact wordage, and I'm in too much of a hurry to go looking for the interview online again. But roughly paraphrased, this is what he said:

We shouldn't think in terms of Republican or Democrat. There is neither Republican nor Democrat. There is only the person who is right for the job. The labels are just meaningless buzzwords. And the person who is right for the job is the person who is willing to take the little American flag pin off his lapel, put on a T-shirt, and get his hands dirty.

That's the person we're waiting for. That's the person I'm waiting for. And that's all I have to say about that. ;o)

2 comments:

amy nickerson said...

I couldn't agree with you more.

Politics probably excite me as much as the cheese molding in my fridge excites me. It's all these people raising MILLIONS for their stinking campaign and it just seems like a silly popularity contest. And when all of them lose but the one who becomes President, where did that money REALLY go? Down the tubes. Seriously, use the money for REAL purposes...like HELPING people!

thegermanygirl said...

Well, Amy, most politicians act like they're worth about as much as the cheese molding in your fridge! ;o) I'm totally with you on the money-wasting campaigns. They're nothing more than glorified bikini competitions. The Founding Fathers would be horrified at how much money is being burned up instead of spent on the people who really need it.