Tuesday, July 27, 2004

Writing Exercise: Sensory Experience

As some of you might already know, I'm taking a novel-writing correspondence course through Writer's Digest School.  One of my recent homework assignments was a writing exercise in which I had to describe a sensory experience related to a scent.  I was rather pleased with the results, so I decided to share them below.  Feedback is, of course, always welcome.

 
Sensory Experience:  Night-Blooming Jasmine Body Cream from Bath & Body Works (my always and forever favorite scent!)

This scent lunges into my nostrils, and suddenly it’s summer. 
And all I know is heat.

A deep plum and wine velvet caressing the back of my mind, while my eyes see greens in shades from fresh jade to lime sunlight trying to penetrate shy new foliage.  And, where heavy, low-hanging branches droop to sweep their tendrils across ticklish tips of grass: a deep green of near-black tinges the shadows.  And still, all I know is this heat, heavy with maroon moisture, clinging to my body, dripping deep into crevices and sliding slowly across curves.  The cloying spice of my own sweat swathing my arms and chest.

I smell jasmine, and my heart rushes faster, and a heat of another kind coils itself in the center of my body, ready to burst from my fingertips.  I smell jasmine, and my breath quickens.  Tingle of anticipation fingering my lower back and along my hairline at the nape of my neck. 

I smell jasmine, and suddenly it’s summer, and anything can happen.


7 comments:

Mgam said...

I almsot want to wear this Cream now that I've read this! ;-)

thegermanygirl said...

Well, Matt, for you I'd recommend something more along the lines of the Plumeria or Gardenia Lily Body Lotions. Both of those are even less subtle than Night-Blooming Jasmine, and they'd suit your flamboyant personality even better.

Yes, BUmeat, "potent" is definitely a good description. ;o)

Anonymous said...

I already possess some of these intoxicating fragrances so I'll make sure to wear them more often...

Anonymous said...

I think if the opening chapter of Grapes of Wrath had been about your "potent" lotion instead of a turtle crossing the road, I would have actually read the entire thing. I guess John Steinbeck didn't use that stuff.

Bri

thegermanygirl said...

To Anonymous: I promise, frequent use of these fragrances definitely makes life more interesting. ;o)

To Bri: Well, you got further in that novel than I did. Don't tell Steinbeck, I'm sure he'd be very disappointed in my personal dedication to classic literture.

Anonymous said...

Well, I thought of that opening chapter because I had to do an essay on it and the detail in it--made me think of your essay. I was like a lifetime before the end of the chapter and well--you know how long the book is!! All I remember is the first and last chapter though i know I read some in between!

Bri

thegermanygirl said...

Sounds like a good one to tackle right before bedtime. Maybe I could substitute it for counting sheep. ;o)