Friday, October 14, 2005

again and again, this is my happy thought

Recently, I've run across a few websites (mostly discussion boards and forums) and have had a few live conversations that have inspired the following thoughts in me:

I am not perfect.
I do not have a perfect understanding of God's Word or will.
I do not have all the answers.
I am a sinner.
I make a lot of mistakes.
I'm often hypocritical without realizing it.
I have earned eternal death.

BUT:

I am a Christian.
I am a member--meaning a body part, an organ, not an associate on a list of names!--of the church of Christ, the church of God, the body of Christ, the Way, the bride of Christ, the Lord's church, the called-out, the children of God, the spiritual heirs of Abraham, God's holy and royal priesthood, the living stones (sounds like a rock group, ha ha), God's chosen race, God's holy nation, God's holy house, God's kingdom.

I can call myself by all these names because my Father has given me the privilege by adopting me into his holy house as a sister of his eternal Son Jesus.

I can know that I am saved.
I do know that I am saved.

I don't care what anyone teaches about it--I know that I am saved, I know that God finds me infinitely valuable. I have no doubts that he loves me and that I will spend eternity in heaven with him. Call me arrogant if you will, but nobody can take that away from me.

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

Courtney, I love you and your wonderful reminders that encourage and build me up every time. I miss you greatly and wish that we could have a "live" conversation! I know I don't comment very often, but I greatly enjoy your posts, they keep me up to date on you and your thoughts... if I had as many good things to say as you do, I might reply more often.
Love,
Mandy ;)

Anonymous said...

That's not arrogance--that's assurance, my friend!

Anonymous said...

I wanted to be sure to comment, since this appears to be a "serious" entry and I don't want to be one of "those" that only comments on the fun ones :)
Did you write this once last year already? It sounds familiar...
Anyway, It is a good reminder that I, too, have this happy thought! I just need to remember that I have it:) In times of stress, what could be a better remembrance?

amy nickerson said...

Amen sister. I really don't think I can add much besides stating that I agree with everything you said! Thanks for reminding us who we are and what God has done for us.

thegermanygirl said...

Mandy: Yay, it's encouraging to me to know that you read my posts! Thank you. I wish for those live conversations, too--they're way too few and far between to suit me. It would be nice if we were on the same continent, at least! ;o) I love you!

Patricia: And I'm so thankful we have that assurance! That's what keeps me going a lot of the time. :o)

Bri: Silly girl, you're not one of "those." I know you appreciate my "serious" thoughts just as much as my "frivolous" ones. ;o)

I don't remember writing about this last year....but then, I'm not renowned for having a particularly good memory, either. ;o)

In times of stress, this happy thought is the best one to have...just seems that humans forget it particularly in times of stress. We Christians forget it...which is exactly what Satan wants us to do. If he can get me to doubt that I'm saved, then he can also get me to doubt the one who did the saving.
Thanks for inspiring food for thought, Bri, as always. :o)

Amy: My pleasure. ...But it was only because someone else reminded *me*. ;o)