Tuesday, October 11, 2005

feel like flying

Life was odd earlier this evening. I was driving to the grocery store and back, and then later to the church building, and I felt somehow restless inside. I wasn't doing anything unusual, and it's not like I was on the Autobahn, with the option of kicking it up to 120 miles per hour......But still, I had trouble keeping the speed limit. There seemed to be a connection between taking my eyes off the speedometer and pressing the gas pedal to the floor.

I don't know what was going on--all I know is that I wanted to go fast. I wanted to fly down the road with all its curves and twists and turns, with the wind in my face and nothing to stop me. I wanted wings.

3 comments:

amy nickerson said...

I get your drift (no pun intended). The other day I was looking out my window which allows me to see across to the Elbe River and no kidding, there were about 50 kites in the air. I was rather floored by this amazing display. I had a brief moment where I wished I could be a kite...but then I wouldn't like the string attached.
I also had a really cool bird experience the other day. We were coming back from Chemnitz and had stopped at McDonald's for dinner. As we were walking inside, we saw about 200 birds flying in a group over our heads (I was a bit concerned about being pooped on). It was so fascinating, though, to watch them fly in a huge formation and then turn in different directions as a group. Life in the air just seems fun!

amy nickerson said...

P.S. I know you meant "flying" mit einen Auto, but since I can't drive in Deutschland, my experiences are all ohne ein Auto. (Like the Germlish?)

thegermanygirl said...

Nate: Yes, I can understand that feeling quite well. ;o)

Amy: I know you know what I mean. ;o) Birds and kites have it good--I'd like to be able to defy gravity on my own, without being cooped up in an airplane. Next time they have hang-gliding or whatever-it-was at the Dresden Stadtfest, I might do it!