Sunday, December 11, 2005

Courtney's Grammar and Spelling Pet Peeves

Ah, you knew this was coming eventually, didn't you? As much as I harp on accurate spelling and correct grammar, and since I've spent part of the last four years teaching conversational English, it was inevitable that I'd come to the point of needing to make a post about this ever-popular subject. *insert weary groans here* ;oD

Language is a beautiful, amazing, wonderful thing that God came up with. It is the basis of everything we do; without language--whether spoken, written, or signed--human communication and interaction would be impossible. Language carries the essence of our human cultures; you will never completely understand a culture until you know its language.

Communication is the foundation of positive human interaction. Conversely, lack of communication is the cause of our every misunderstanding. That's why I'm so interested in language, and that's the basic reason why I'm often so particular about spelling, grammar, and expression.

So, without further ado, I give you my list of grammar and spelling pet peeves. This list is subject to revising and to growth, so check back periodically if you're interested. This is my collection of frequent grammar and spelling errors that I have observed (and sometimes made) personally; some of them seem to be habitual errors that many native English speakers make.

And not to worry--I'm not anticipating any feedback on this one. ;o)

INCORRECT................................................CORRECT

alot.....................................................................a lot

appauled
apauled..........................................................appalled

conversate.....................................................converse

cynicalism........................................................cynicism

decapacitate..................................................decapitate

definatly
definately......................................................definitely

dieing.............................................................dying ( = losing life) 
NOTE: "dyeing" is the continuous form of the verb "to dye" = to color smthg.

excentric.......................................................eccentric

family names:
These are the Cantrell's...................................the Cantrells
I stayed at the Cantrell's.................................the Cantrells'

had went........................................................had gone

hayday...........................................................heyday

If I would have warmer shoes,
my feet would be warmer...............................If I had warmer shoes,
........................................................................my feet would be warmer.

irregardless...................................................regardless

it's (possessive, such as his, her, our)................its

liason
liasion.............................................................liaison

loose (as in "not win).........................................lose
loosing (as in "not winning")...............................losing
looser (as in "not winner")..................................loser
NOTE: the adjective "loose" means "not tight." The verb is "to loosen."

objectable......................................................objectionable

posessive
possesive.......................................................possessive

productful.........................................................productive

sight............................................................site (as in location, such as "website")

solemness......................................................solemnity

their, there, they're.................................just figure out which is which ;o)

unassumedly.................................................unassumingly

wierd.................................................................weird

you're (possessive, such as his, her, my)..............your

your (as in "you are")..........................................you're

9 comments:

Joel Muller said...

obectionable:

I noticed that you had this word listed as correct. I looked it up just in case and I have come to the conclusion that you just have it under the wrong heading. Which I don't think makes it grammatical error but more or less an organizational foible. But I forgive you.

thegermanygirl said...

Ah, Joel. How thankful I am that you always forgive me my foibles. I sit corrected, and my foible sits so with me. ;o)

Mgam said...

Nice list! I sure hate the irregardless in lieu of regardless!

thegermanygirl said...

Ooh, great suggestion! I'll add it to the list posthaste! :o)

Mgam said...

I feel so cool for making the list.

thegermanygirl said...

It wouldn't be as cool a list without your suggestions on it.

mommawege said...

My dear dear niece,

Merry Christmas! I do hope that you find something totally nerdy and wonderful to do today. Enjoy.

I do have this against you, however. You use your great learning to interpret words at their literary value, only. For example "hayday" vs. "heyday". Truly this mistake is not your fault. That belongs to your parents for wisking you out of the world of redneck fun before your language was well built. We really had a "heyday" would express a time in which much fun was enjoyed by the masses involved. We really had a "hayday", on the other hand, has to do with the fun had on the "hayride" and "hey" we're not even going to tell you ANY of the details, so there you are.

Much love,
Auntie E

thegermanygirl said...

Well, Auntie E., Kendra gave me a lightsaber for Christmas, so nerdiness prevails as always. ;o)

As for my grammar errors, I do apologize for my inadequacy in redneck lingo. I did try to be assimilated whilst dwelling in Oklahoma, but alas and alack, the damage of linguistic education had already been done. Perhaps, one blessed day, I'll attain enough wisdom to recognize the value of the redneck tongue (and what a mental image that is) and shed this burdensome mantle of language perfectionism. What a hayday that will be!

Wishing you a geeky post-Christmas and an equally nerdy New Year! ;o)
Love,
Courtney

thegermanygirl said...

Hey Huggy Girl! Somehow I didn't see your comment till now! Sorry about that!

I'll have to check out Mr. Sick's Onionfish. Sounds fun!

Actually, come to think of it, it sounds gross.

;oD