Sunday, January 15, 2006

as a Christian, i find this SCARY!!!

So, I read this article on Yahoo! earlier. If you don't want to click and read the whole thing, here are a few highlights:

An individual named Jonathan "The Impaler" Sharkey plans to run for governor of Minnesota. A few things about Mr. Sharkey:

He's 41 years old.
He's a self-proclaimed vampire.
He'll be representing the Vampyres, Witches and Pagans Party.
He says that if elected, he will post "everything from the Ten Commandments to the Wicca Reed" in government buildings.

Now, don't get me wrong. I don't have much of a problem with the things I've listed above. Y'know, if a guy wants to call himself a vampire--fine. I think that's weird and a bit disturbing when you think of the implications, but it's his life.
If the laws of the USA allow something called a "Vampyres, Witches and Pagans" Party to exist--fine. I think that's disturbing, too, but everything except Christianity seems to be politically popular lately. One deals with it and moves on with one's life and faith.
And I don't really care *what* is posted or not posted in government buildings. The Ten Commandments, standing alone, aren't a creed of Christianity, anyway--technically, they're a creed of Judaism. I think it would be nice for them to be displayed publically, but there's way more to Christianity than just those ten "Dos and Don'ts" (as some might call them). (Taking "In God We Trust" off our currency would be a bigger deal, I think.) If Mr. Sharkey wants to post creeds of all religions in our government buildings, he'd do better to represent Christianity with "I believe that Jesus Christ is the Son of God" (seeing as how the Ten C.s don't say anything about Him).

Anyway....here are the things about Mr. Sharkey's gubernatorial bid that DO scare me (quotes taken from the Yahoo! article):

  • '"I'm a Satanist who doesn't hate Jesus," Sharkey told Reuters. "I just hate God the Father."'
    (OH.....well, that's okay, then.)
  • 'Sharkey also pledged to execute convicted murders and child molesters personally by impaling them on a wooden pole outside the state capitol.'
    (I guess that's why he's called "The Impaler." Just think of little Timmy..."Mom, can we go see the impaling today? Pleeeeeeease?")
  • 'Sharkey told the Minneapolis Star Tribune that he's a vampire "just like you see in the movies and TV."
    '"I sink my fangs into the neck of my donor ... and drink their blood," he said, adding that his donor is his wife, Julie.'
    (Just remember, folks, you heard it here first! Romance is alive and well! Er....I mean, dead and well. Romance is dead and....ill. Yeah.)

Okay, supposed vampirism (or vampyrism if you prefer, whatever) aside.....the guy's a Satanist who sucks blood out of his wife's neck. He's a PSYCHO! I truly hope I'm not the only one who thinks his being in a leadership position in the U.S. (or any other country, for that matter) would be a very, very bad idea. Please, somebody join me in my rant against such insanity! Gah! What is this country coming to???

Either it's scary as _____, or it just makes for amusing, head-shaking, eye-rolling reading.

P.S. I'm absolutely thrilled beyond belief that I got to use the word "gubernatorial." I've always wanted to do that!



6 comments:

Anonymous said...

I can't comment on your entry until first enlighten me as to what gubernatiorial means...i wouldn't want to embarrass myself... :)

Mgam said...

Good post but I just can't help but laugh at the part about how he's going to "execute convicted murders and child molesters personally by impaling them on a wooden pole outside the state capitol." That's just has to be something out of someone's stand-up routine.

Paul said...

So, this intrigued me a wee bit. The guy has a site (http://www.jonathonforgovernor.us/Home_page.html). The best quote I found was this, "Upon becoming President I will immediately recall ALL servicemen and women from combat areas around the world. Additionally, I will have
President George W. Bush charged and tried for the murders of every
American that has been killed in Iraq as a result of him sending them into War. Upon being convicted, I think everyone knows what his punishment will be."
Even though he might cast a spell on me...I think he is a total whack job. Read more and I am sure you'll agree.

thegermanygirl said...

Bri: "Gubernatorial" means of or relating to the office of governor. Now, don't ask me why the word isn't "governatorial," which I would find much more logical, linguistically speaking. But less amusing. ;o)

Matt: I know....it really makes you wonder if the guy actually takes himself seriously, or if he's just trying to see how far he can take the media for a ride. Nothing like pushing the world's buttons when you're bored. ;o)

Paul: Yeah, I already checked out his site--further confirmation that his balance is a bit off. I especially enjoyed his descriptions of how he "turned to the Dark Side," as well as the pics of him as Darth Maul. Very politically relevant.

Anonymous said...

This is quite hysterical--well, in a sarcastic sort of way. I don't think it would be hysterical if George Bush was actually impaled on a stick...
I think in this case that "gubernatorial" fits much better than "governatorial." The guy is a total "Guber."
Or "Goober," I should say :)

thegermanygirl said...

That's why I love that word so much. Ahh, language.....flexible, yet strong. Sort of like a good Kleenex.