Sunday, March 26, 2006

creek and feet

We got home from Gemeinsames Essen ( = "communal eating," i.e. potluck) just over an hour ago, and it looks like the neighborhood will be keeping an eye on the creek for the rest of the day. What with the rain on top of the snowmelt, the water level is getting a bit high. The neighbors' basement flooded right next door to us, and Karen is already taking a few anti-flood precautions. Here are a few pictures I took when we got home:

From our third-floor stairwell, the view of our backyard, the creek, and Karen's apartment


The creek at groundlevel. Usually, the water level is about two feet lower.


We'll start having problems if the water rises over the bridge. Hopefully, that won't happen!

In the meantime, here are a few completely flood-unrelated pics. Jennifer and Kendra bought me this neat foot-sock-warmer-thingy at Christmas, and it makes me laugh every time I look at it. I feel like one of those podfoot people in one of C.S. Lewis's Narnia books ("The Voyage of the Dawn Treader," I think).


With legwarmers! Don't forget the legwarmers!


Kids, don't try this at home.

2 comments:

amy nickerson said...

Boo to the flooding! Yay to the foot-sock-warmer-pod-thingy! And double yay to the legwarmers! You're way too cool for school!

thegermanygirl said...

Then I guess it's a good thing I'm not in school anymore. ;oP

Boo to the flooding in Dresden! I'm sorry you guys are getting hit AGAIN!