Sunday, March 23, 2008

some culture shock thoughts

Before I begin, here's another caveat emptor (I've been using that phrase so often lately, I really should make it a tag): I am not bitter; I am not trying to criticize; I am not complaining; I am meaning no offense. I am venting, and I am feeling frustrated, and I am making observations. So there are your grains of salt with which to take the following:

One. If you ever really want to annoy me: ask me a question, give me twenty seconds of your attention, and then, as I am answering YOUR question, either walk away from me or turn away and start talking to someone else.

This has happened numerous times since we arrived here in November. And the culprits are not inattentive children or flighty teenagers. The culprits are allegedly friendly, allegedly sensitive, and allegedly well-adjusted adults who ought to know better.

Forgive me my intolerance and closed-mindedness, but that is rude no matter what culture you're in. Please spare me your alleged interest in who I really am.

I know this sounds bitter, but I'm really not bitter. Frustrated. Annoyed.

Two. A lot of people here profess to be very proud to be American, proud to be part of this country. And yet I observe the same people, littering and wasting natural resources (leaving water running, leaving lights on, leaving cars running while the drivers duck into the store for 15 minutes...). Germans are, for the most part, lukewarm when it comes to patriotism. And yet they will drive you nuts with everything they insist on doing to protect the environment, to take care of their land (like separating trash into four different types for disposal and recycling; I am so brainwashed, I *still* feel guilty about putting everything into one trash can!).

So of the two cultures, which is really more patriotic?

Annoyed. Not bitter. Frustrated. And ***confused***.

4 comments:

Ginger said...

Oh my. I'm SO with you on this. Americans really don't do "talking with each other" very well.

The other thing that made me CRAZY and still does, often, is when someone says "How are you?" and then keeps on walking. Forget trying to give an honest answer to that question....

--Another TCK

Anonymous said...

I'm in accord :-)

Anonymous said...

Point 1: Totally agree - not looking forward to this kind of attitude on our visit to the states next month.

Point 2: Yes, you are brainwashed, but I still love you :) However - can you really call it "patriotism" when you're forced to do it by law? I wonder how many Germans would sort their trash into 10 cans, turn off their car instead of idling it, etc if they were actually given the choice (and gas didn't cost $8 per gallon!!). Sure - some do it all for for altruistic reasons, but I'm doubtful that it's the majority.

thegermanygirl said...

Ginger, Fellow TCK: OH, the how-are-you?s!!! How I despise the how-are-you?s!!! It helps me so much to remind myself (constantly( that here, 9 times out of 10, that is a greeting and not a question, no matter how the voice might rise at the end of the sentence! ;o)

Thanks for the visit--it's always grand to hear from other TCKs out there!

Bri: I had no idea you had a Honda in your life. ;oD

Steve:
Point 1: I do believe we discussed (and not-cussed) this particular situation when you were here. ;o)

Point 2: I don't know if it's altruism or simple law-abidingness, either. But I've heard so many Germans hold forth on the subject, I often do think that for most of them, it's almost a moral issue instead of merely a regulatory one!

?