Tuesday, September 20, 2005

a statement of opinion related to a random frustration

I know I haven't been overwhelmingly perky lately (I dunno, some of you might be sighing in relief), but I've just gotta vent about something that happened today. Please bear with me. Or tiger or lion with me, I don't care. As long as I can just get this out. ;o)

It really, really annoys me that so many people absolutely refuse any sort of psychological therapy or counseling on the grounds that “they're not crazy.”

WHAT IN THE WORLD??? You don't have to be totally psycho or maladjusted to benefit from therapy! If I recommend it, it's only because you, like every other human being on this planet, have trouble dealing with some area in your life......most likely in the area of communication with other people! It doesn't mean I think you're crazy, it doesn't mean I don't like you, it doesn't mean I think there's something inherently wrong or sick or evil about you.......It means that I've been listening to you, and I hear the pain that you can't seem to get rid of, and I think you might get some good out of talking to someone who's been trained to help people find healthy solutions to their problems! It's because I recognize that you need someone to talk to besides me!

After all, I majored in Psychology for three years, and I have a minor in the field. That doesn't mean that I am qualified to do any sort of counseling—I acknowledge freely and happily that I have no business going around analyzing everybody—but I do have experience that has shown me the positive ways therapy and counseling can change people's lives. Not only do I have some experience through education, but I also have quite a bit of personal experience in that I've gone to a counselor/therapist/psychiatrist/psychologist/alloftheabove myself. And it helped me. So, believe me, I'm not telling you anything I haven't already told myself.

I guess I'm just tired of the prejudices people have against professional counseling/therapy. They're more than happy to skedaddle off to a physician when there's something physically wrong.....but when it comes to taking care of their mental/emotional/spiritual health, they turn stubborn and claim they don't need help with it at all, because “only crazy people need a shrink.” Oh, and those who claim not to need any help at all are perfectly well adjusted, is that it?

Okay, I feel better now. See? That's what therapy does: You talk to somebody about your difficulties, and afterwards you feel better. I gripe to regular blogreaders and assorted anonymous lurkers about what's irritating me, and afterwards I feel better.

I'm sure a professional counselor wouldn't do anything remotely like this. ;o)

6 comments:

Tony said...

OK, but if, as you say, you are not qualified to do any counseling, why do you describe yourself in your profile as a counselor?

If you are telling everyone to consult a "professional counselor" you should point out that anyone can call themselves a counselor, and you should explain exactly which qualifications mean something and which are meaningless.

thegermanygirl said...

Thanks for your thought-provoking comments, Tony. I appreciate the different viewpoint.

In my profile, I use the word "counselor" because in the course of my work as a missionary, a lot of people approach me as a person they can talk to, bounce ideas off of, and just generally vent to. I listen, I sympathize, I carefully state opinion when asked to do so. (Whenever possible, I avoid giving advice.) I consider myself a counselor in that I try to help others apply Biblical principles to their lives.

However, I have never called myself a professional counselor, and I make sure that the people who talk to me understand that I don't have the training necessary to deal with serious psychological or emotional problems. I also make it clear that there are trained professionals who do have the qualifications to provide help in such situations.

In my post above, when I stated that I have no business doing counseling, I was referring specifically to therapy in a professional setting, the kind of help I am not equipped to provide. I do not, as you suggested, "tell everyone" to seek professional therapy. If I realize that I am not able to help someone beyond a certain point, I suggest that they seek out someone who can help them.

This post was directly related to a specific conversation with a specific individual who was disparaging the entire psychological profession. I recommended family counseling to this person because this person is dealing with emotional issues that won't improve simply through talking to me. My rant was a reaction to the prejudice against professional counseling, a field I respect greatly.

amy nickerson said...

Right on sista! Who says professoinal help is only for the nut cases? Shoot...those people probably end up better off than all the other people walking around saying they don't need anyone to help them.

Tony said...

I have no prejudice against "professional" counseling but it is well known that this is a largely unregulated profession (in the UK) and that there are many well-meaning amateurs without any proper training who offer help to troubled people; their advice may be useless or actually harmful.
In the States, which professional bodies offer training courses and qualifications, and which of them are generally regarded as reputable?
Without providing this information it is surely irresponsible to advise anyone to go to a "professional" counselor: how can they find one?

Tony said...

If Amy Nickerson habitually refers to people with severe mental problems as "nut cases" then I hope she doesn't often meet any.

thegermanygirl said...

Tony: Well, if I'm in Oklahoma, I know I can recommend several excellent counselors whom I know personally, my own former professor and former counselor included.
Here in Germany, the medical and psychiatric professions are strictly regulated. Anytime I recommend professional counseling, I also offer my help in finding an appropriate therapist. Also, one of my friends and fellow Christians is a social worker with plenty of contacts in the counseling profession.
I never recommend counseling without being able to offer the other person a solid ground to stand on.

Gervase: Since I know Amy personally, I can take her comments with the good humor in which she offered them. But if you don't like what she had to say, I suggest you take it up with her directly.