Monday, August 07, 2006

literary frustrations

I just finished reading Barbara Kingsolver's Prodigal Summer, which Pam gave me for my birthday this year. (Which disproves the theory that fantasy and sci-fi are all I ever read. Take that, you doubters!) I'm not gonna give a book review or anything, other than to say this is a great novel, I highly enjoyed it, it made me laugh, it made me cry, it was interesting, and I recommend it.

What I really wanted to say is that I'm frustrated that Kingsolver ends the story where she ends it, because I wanna know more! I won't give anything away, but...I want to know what happens with Deanna, I want to know if Lusa gets remarried, and I want to read more of the Garnett-Nannie banter. I'd even like to see how Little Rickie is in his 20s. And whether or not Crystal ever gets over her issues. (Although I'm by no means advocating that she be forced to wear a dress.)

There. That's all. I just have all these questions, and unless Kingsolver writes a sequel (which I DO advocate her doing!), I'm not going to get any answers.

Frustrating. *sigh*

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Have you read Kingsolver's Poisonwood Bible? I will put this one on my to-be-read list (which is quite lengthy already and grows daily!).

thegermanygirl said...

I have a to-read list and a to-read *stack*.....both growing faster than I can keep up. *sigh* Oh, for Cmdr. Data's ability to speed-read a book in 10 seconds. ;o)

Yes, I've read "Poisonwood Bible" and absolutely LOVED it. Even though it took place in Africa so many decades ago, there were passages in the book that made me think Kingsolver has been taking notes on my life. I think this book should be a must-read for anyone considering mission work. It certainly is a bible....of what *not* to do when trying to teach others about Christ!

Actually, it wouldn't be a bad idea for every Christian to read this book, full-time missionary or no.